Friday 6 November 2009










What a day. Or days, rather. Made it to the airport with three hours to spare. Decent flight with Emirates out to Dubai apart from me having to sit next to Precious Ramotswe; made eating with a knife and fork an interesting activity! Great airline food, though, and lots of wine. Angela was in her element.

At 10pm (or was it 12am or 2am? We just kept crossing time zones) we had the totally surreal experience of walking through the Dubai Airport Duty Free area – I hope I can manage to download a picture – then joining the flight on to Delhi. Curry for breakfast, including the hottest chilli I’ve ever eaten in my life. Honestly, I thought I was going to die!

Arrived at New Delhi airport (which isn’t half as bad as we’d been led to believe) around 9am, started to meet up with all the others who have come. There’s about ninety of us in all, with maybe a dozen from our District. Had a very slow drive to our hotel – you wouldn’t believe the traffic. I’ll try to post some pictures of the bikes, buses and trucks; anyone with a passing interest in Health and Safety will have kittens.

Had a briefing meeting with local project managers and met the fellow who’s going to be RI President in 2011. Don’t ask me his name, we’d been awake for about 24 hours by this time!

Hotel is very decent, staff perhaps over attentive; we’ve already had two lots of towels even though we’ve only been here a few hours, but I suppose that it keeps people in jobs. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to post this, but the internet arrangements are a bit wobbly and, amazingly, three times the price you’d expect in Europe.

We’ve a busy day tomorrow, starting with a publicity breakfast meeting with the Chief Minister of Delhi, then visits to a couple of local Rotary projects. We seem to be free in the afternoon, so we’re going to try to visit the Red Fort or something similar.

I’ll try to post this, then, AT LAST, we’ll get some sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant blog and lovely photos! Glad you both arrived safely - you are going to need a week of sleep when you get back.
    Sorry this is such a boring post - just wanted to prove that I am following your blog. Looking forward to reading your next post.

    ReplyDelete